Bear River


I recently went to a little part of the Bear River in Northern Utah to photograph some of the birds there. There are lots of tall reeds and grasses, so plenty of places for the birds to hide. The day was very windy, the sun was very bright, and the highway ran right through the wetlands. Thus shooting conditions were not the best. But, you make it work the best you can. This was one of those times when I was thankful to have lived in Vegas, where the sun never stops shining and the wind never stops blowing! I have been pretty well trained for these conditions.

So, here are a few of my favorites of the day!


This white pelican flew almost directly overhead. It circled around and landed gracefully in the water, without once flapping it's wings. It was absolutely breathtaking to watch!

The Avocets are very abundant this time of year. You can see them wherever there is shallow water.

This Eared Grebe was such a poser! He kept turning this way and that for the camera, LOL. I love his bright red eye!
This Great Blue Heron made me jump a little. I was trying to zoom in on a goose, when all of a sudden all I could see in the lens was blue feathers. Zooming out, I could see this guy flying past. I was able to grabe a couple of quick shots before he disappeared into the reeds.
Peek-a-boo! I thought this was just hilarious! I think the geese were nesting up on this ridge, but being the vertically challenged person that I am, I could only see this one. Works for me!

Pelvic bone of a large animal, probably a mule deer. I liked the texture of the bone against the dried mud.

Some scenery shots. The thistles were cool to photograph, but a real pain to walk through.

I am hoping to get out the Bird Refuge soon. It is on the edge of the Salt Lake, and is said to attract all kinds of of birds. Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts