That little thing at the top of my blog

I am pretty dang excited. Did you notice that little logo near the top of my blog? The one that says "PPA"? That means I am an official member of Professional Photographers of America!

Wait, what does that even mean?

PPA is a non-profit organization dedicated to the education and advancement of photographers. By joining this organization I have pledged to follow a specific code of conduct, and to continually seek education opportunities to improve and build upon my photographic and business skills.

When I first started doing photography professionally, some five years ago, I knew I wasn't going to be happy settling for "second best". While I have always enjoyed photography as an art medium and a great way to express myself artistically, when I actually started doing it as a business, I really wanted it be more than something fun I do "on the side".

Over these last five years I have poured heart and soul into this venture. I have spent hours and hours reading books and articles, attending seminars, and practicing the techniques I have learned about. I want to be able to offer my clients something truly beautiful and unique, and I knew it was going to take a lot of work on my part to do that.

And I am taking it even one step further. As I have mentioned before, I am studying and preparing for my Professional Photographer Certification test this coming January. This is now light-hearted test! The questions are challenging and designed to test a photographer's knowledge of the technical aspects of photography - lighting, exposure, post processing (both film and digital), etc. The second part of the exam is an image review, which will prove to the judges that not only can I talk the talk, but I can walk the walk. I can apply what I have learned to real life situations.

Photography is not just my hobby. It is my way of life. And I am dedicated to making it even better.

Comments

Popular Posts