Welcome Vivian - {Utah Birth Story Photographer}

Photographing a birth is always an incredible experience. Photographing the birth story for one of the best photographers in the the state of Utah is pretty much as awesome as it gets!

I was so honored when Liz Frandsen (etfphotography.com) asked me to photograph the birth of her newest baby, Vivian. Liz and I have known each other for around 6 years now, and our photographic journeys have led us down many of the same roads. It has been so fun to cheer each other on!

Liz was due with Baby #5 right on Thanksgiving Day. But I was warned ahead of time that she has never had a baby on her due date - they always come later. Still, I wasn't about to leave town! Whenever I do a Birth Story, I make sure that the entire week before AND after the due date is marked off on my calendar. This way I will always be ready at a moment's notice!

Well, Baby must have been very comfy, because days passed, and still no appearance. There were a couple of "I think this might be it!" moments, but alas, it was not to be! I was really starting to wonder if this baby was ever going to come. Pretty sure her parents were thinking the same thing!

Finally, on November 29, I got the call in the evening that things were looking good, and they might head in to the hospital soon. I figured I had time for a quick shower (I had just been photographing a puppy). Not two minutes after jumping in the shower, I got another text that things were suddenly happening fast, and I had better hurry! Well, shoot! I pretty much threw on some clothes, grabbed my gear, and jumped in my car. Luckily, traffic was great! It was smooth sailing the whole way! But as I was pulling in to the hospital, Liz's husband, Jordan, texted me that I had better RUN!

So there I am, RACING into the hospital, gear slung over my shoulders and arms, hoping I could make it up to Labor & Delivery in time. When I walked in, still no baby. Whew! But when I asked, Jordan said they were pretty much just waiting for me and the doc! Wow! I barely had time to grab my camera out of my bag and get in position, when the doc walked in and things started happening fast!

I think Liz pushed for maybe 5 or 10 minutes when Vivian came screaming into the world. She came out a little sideways, but none the worse for wear. I couldn't believe how fast it all happened! If I had been only a few minutes later, I would have missed the whole thing! Eeps! Babies are funny that way - they can take their time deciding to come, but often when they decide, they come in a hurry! Liz just took the whole thing in stride. I swear she makes everything look so easy!

A few stats: 8lbs 3oz, 21.5in, born at 9:54pm

Vivian had swallowed a bit of meconium, so just needed a little extra air pushed into her lungs to unstick them. She really seemed fairly calm during the whole process. Maybe it was the warmer she was under!

After a few more photos, I left for the night. It was literally my fastest and easiest birth to date! I was only in the hospital for a couple of hours. The next morning I headed back in to do a First 48 session, so that we could get some fun shots of the older kids meeting their new baby sister. It was a little bit chaotic, but the older two girls especially LOVED their new baby sister. They were arguing over who would get to hold her first! It's always so much fun to watch the interactions of siblings together. Big brother, though, seemed less than thrilled, lol.

All in all, it was a great experience, and I am so glad I was able to be a part of it! Now on to the photos! I put these together like I would for an album, so it is a bit of a different look for this blog. But since it is a Birth STORY, I felt this made sense.































Comments

Popular Posts