Pinterest - My Love/Hate Relationship - {Utah Wedding Photography, Utah Newborn Photography}

Pinterest.  It seems like everyone is on it these days, especially so many of the DIY minded moms and brides here in Utah.  For a long time I resisted the pull, and refused to even look at it.  However, I could not resist its allure for too long!

As a photographer, it is fun to go on to Pinterest and find tons of inspiration so easily.  Whether I have a special themed wedding, or I am looking for some new ideas for photographing newborns, searching for photos is so incredibly easy.  I can put in any keywords and up pops dozens of images for exactly what I am looking for.  And then I can "pin" those images in my own categories so I can easily find them later!  It is such a great resource for studying new lighting techniques, posing ideas, and all kinds of other little tidbits.  Okay, and it is fun to get lost in all the pages upon pages of ideas, lol.  Basically, for me as a photographer, this is such a great resource.

I  also love that you can share ideas with other people.  I work part time as the assistant manager at Tuscany Gardens reception center in Roy, UT.  When talking to brides about centerpieces, it is just so easy to put in some keywords, like "glass", "roses", and "candles", and see what we come up with.  Most of the time, the bride can find exactly the look she wants at her own wedding.  This eliminates soo much time searching through our room full of glassware and other table decor.  Many brides are not really sure what they are looking for, and just seeing the individual pieces is not enough.  But seeing photos of a finished product can really help.

Okay, so here is what I don't like.  Sooo many of my brides or moms come to me and say, "I saw this on Pinterest, can you do this exact image?"  Ugh!  That drives me crazy! That is not my art.  Someone else created it, and if you love that image, then you should find the photographer that created it. Imagine going to Michelangelo and saying, "I really love that image da Vinci did of the Mona Lisa.  Can you make me a copy of it?  I doubt it would go over very well with either artist!  Photography is art as well, and many photographers like me really value their own creations.  We work hard to develop our own styles and ideas.  Of course I can try to do something similar, while still keeping it withing the style I love.  Essentially, I can make it my own, which of course I do not mind doing, since that is why I personally visit Pinterest myself!  And if I am shown a series of images, and the client says, "I would like something like this,"  I can easily handle that.  But I won't copy and image exactly, because I feel that takes away from both the original artist, and myself as an artist as well.

So if you are a bride or a mom and you are cruising through Pinterest and pinning those favorites, keep in mind that not all photographers are the same.  Use Pinterest as a guide to find the STYLE you love, then find a photographer in your area who has a similar style.  Don't just ask your photographer to copy a bunch of images on Pinterest.  Let them create unique images that are all your own, and will ultimately have more meaning.

Comments

Popular Posts