Davis County Fair

I decided to enter some of my work in the Davis County Fair this year. Last year I entered one of my images into the State Fair, and I was very disappointed by how it was judged, and by how much it cost just to enter. I decided to try something on a smaller scale this year.

I entered three of my favorite images, which you have undoubtedly seen here if you have been following my blog for any length of time, lol.

The first was a picture of a dragonfly. Dragonflies are my very favorite insect - they've been around since BEFORE the dinosaurs! I love their jewel colors, and their little zippy movements. There are TONS of them all around my house, sometimes in large swarms. It is neat to watch them, and of course, any time they decided to land, I take a picture:-) What I wasn't aware of, was how popular dragonflies are as photography subjects. There were sooo many dragonfly pictures at the fair. Mine won a third place ribbon, which in translation means, "Thank you for entering". It is just a consolation prize, but that is okay.

The second image was of one of the dachshund puppies I did earlier this year. His name is Syrus, and he is actually owned by my brother now. This picture won a first place ribbon, which is really neat! It was such a cute picture, I am glad it won a ribbon. FYI, another litter was just born last week, so I will have more puppies to play with soon!!

The last image was one of my all time favorites of a mother and her baby. The eye contact is fantastic from both of them, and lighting and focus are spot on. For me, it is an incredibly powerful image. I knew when I took the picture last year that I wanted to enter it in contests. This was the first time I entered it in anything, and it won . . .



Best of Show!!!!

It was so cool seeing that big ribbon hanging on one of my own photos, especially one that I love so much. It is just gratifying to see that my hard work and skills have paid off, even just a little bit. And, it encourages me to work even harder, to push myself to new limits.

All three images will soon be displayed in my studio, so if you miss seeing them at the fair, just come on over to check them out!

Comments

Photo's by Shan said…
Those are all fabulous photos!
Alisa said…
I LOVE this. LOVE all of these photos actually but the last one has special meaning :-)
You are really so talented.

Popular Posts