I love hats!

Yup, I admit it. I am CRAZY about hats! I have always been a fan of textures. When I was about ten years old, my om taught me how to crochet. Since then I have made several large afghans, and a few other little things. But hats are my favorite:-)

Last year, I got into the Knifty Knitter craze. That was fun, but I was still feeling a little limited in what I could do. Meanwhile, I fell in love with the work of other yarn artists, such as a Heather Bauer and Jennifer Rodriguez. I knew I needed to learn how to knit like a big girl!

Here are some of my KK creations:
And here are some adorable works of art from Heather:

I have always been a little apprehensive about knitting. Those two long pointy needles are kind of scary! And let's face it. I am not very coordinated. But I was determined. So I picked up a kit on how to knit, and learned the basics.I won't lie. It was HARD!!!!! I can't tell you how many times I dropped a stitch, and not knowing how to fix it, I would have to unravel the entire piece. Ugh!! My fingers ached from working at it for hours on end. But I kept going. I would NOT quit!!!

And. . .success!! I did learn the basics (including how to pick up dropped stitches!!), and I finally made this:
I can tell you are TOTALLY impressed:-) Maybe even more so when I tell you that this was entirely my own design. I just kind of started knitting, and let the art happen. Kind of cool, huh?

And what do I use these cute hats for? Photo props! There is nothing cuter than a baby sporting a soft knitted hat, or a diaper cover, or a cocoon, etc. Texture is fun, and adds tons of interest to any image:-)

Right now I am working on a large afghan to use in the studio - lots of bright colors in this one! I can't wait to put a little baby on it:-)

A special shout out goes to Baby Aub (don't ask, my kid named him!), who was such a good sport, even when I put him in the girl hats:-)

Comments

Melanie said…
Oooh...I LOVE the flower one! So cute! ...and p.s. we have that same doll, lol. Did you buy it for potty training, too? :)
Unknown said…
Love your hat, you're now on a roll...watch out world!!! :)
Sarah Stiles said…
Yes, he is the potty training doll from Wal-mart. Isn't he just cute? Even though Cameron NEVER plays with him, he got mad when I took the doll to help model the hats. Kids are so funny!

Popular Posts